Fresh fish and chips taste completely different from the cardboard filled cups of soggy chips or paper wrapped greasy fish and chip dishes you buy from your local takeaway. I know that there are some great takeaway places who can produce amazing fish and chip dishes, but seriously, if you can catch, clean and cook a fish within an hour, you will not believe the difference in the taste!
I am salivating as I type this for you, and I may just need to go and put a line in the water so I can enjoy this dish for dinner tonight! Just follow the 5 steps below and you can experience the magic of this taste bud tantalising delicacy yourself.
Head to Coomera Houseboats and book in the best vessel for your fishing adventure. Check out the recipe below and make sure you take the couple of ingredients that you will need – except for the flathead, as it is almost guaranteed that you will reel in the biggest, tastiest flathead on the Gold Coast!
Make sure you bring your fishing rods or grab a couple for your crew at our bait and tackle shop on-site. We also sell the best bait and accessories to ensure that the local fish bite!
Untie your houseboat, put on your captain’s hat and head out to one of the best fishing spots around.
The fishing and crabbing on the Gold Coast is great! One of the features of our magnificent cruising area is the abundant fish and crab life that inhabit our waterways and are available to you – if you can catch them.
So, for today’s mouth-sized morsels you now need to catch the best flathead around. Easier said than done? Not at all!
Speak to our staff when you arrive and they can give you hints and tips on how and where to catch a good size flathead for your dinner. You can also ask the staff at the bait and tackle shop on site when you are buying all the necessities you need for a victorious fishing trip.
OK, you have the equipment, you have circled the best flathead fishing spots on the Coomera Houseboats Cruising Map, everyone is aboard, and the frying pan is at the ready…. Look out flathead, here we come!
After a relaxing hour or so motoring to your secret fishing spot, throwing the lines in the water, and having a lovely beverage or two (except for the captain who is, of course, completely sober and in control of the vessel) … you have done all the hard work and the flathead has been caught, cleaned and is ready to cook!
“But” you say loudly, “How do we cook this thing on our hook?” This is the easiest part of the day! Here is my tried and true, easiest ever and most mouth-watering recipe for fresh flathead fillets and crispy potato wedges.
Fresh Flathead Fillets and Crispy Potato Wedges
- Baby potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled and bruised (or garlic and herb seasoning)
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- An amazing flathead, freshly caught and expertly filleted, cut into thick strips
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives (optional)
1. Preheat your houseboat oven to 210°C.
2. Cut the potatoes into wedges and microwave on a microwaveable plate for 4 minutes.
3. Transfer potato to a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
4. Add the garlic, (or garlic and herb seasoning) and sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil.
5. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes (while your flathead is cooking) or until crispy and golden.
6. Toss the flathead fillets in a little flour, salt and pepper, and shake off any excess.
7. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little olive oil and cook the fish in batches for 4 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
8. If desired, sprinkle the chives over the potato and serve immediately with the fish.
And … there you go, the easiest, tastiest dinner for your family, just like that!
Now that you are salivating and wanting to taste amazing fish for yourself, head over to our website, choose the best vessel for your fishing adventure and book it.
Make sure you send us pics of your mouth-watering flathead dinner dishes that you have created aboard one of our Coomera Houseboat vessels. Happy sailing (and cooking!).